*IF YOU ARE USING DRY BEANS LIKE I DO, here's a link about how to use them, store them, cook them, soak them, etc.
1 cup kidney beans -* I use dried beans & soak overnight
1/2 cup pinto beans - *
1/2 cup black beans - *
1 lg. onion
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 lg bell pepper (any color), diced small
1 lb ground beef
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
2 5.5oz cans of tomato paste
3 large carrots, shredded
1/4-1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes (optional)
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh pepper
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 Tbsp honey
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
* In a medium pot with lid, put in beans and add enough water so its several inches over beans. Soak over night.
1. The next day, carry on with chili with putting the pot of beans and water on stove, on high (add more water if needed). Bring to boil and skim foam if needed, then turn to low and simmer, covered, until tender - approx. 1 hr. Drain, rinse with cool water, set aside.
2. Add onions and oil to large stock pot on medium heat, and saute' until the onions start to soften. Add the peppers and continue to cook until onions are translucent.
3. Add ground beef and cook thoroughly.
4. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and shredded carrots, as well as the beans. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water to thin, if necessary. Bring to a low boil and then turn to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
5. Add seasons, simmer 10-15 minutes.
Serve with cheese/sour cream or any other desired toppings!!!
Goes well with soaked CORNBREAD!!!! I am sort of new to soaking grains, but if you want to learn more about benefits of soaking, read HERE.
Here's the recipe for that:
1 cup whole grain flour (wheat, spelt or kamut)
1 cup cornmeal
Either 1 cup buttermilk or 2/3 cup yogurt + 1/3 cup water
1. With a spatula, mix the cup of liquid with the flour & cornmeal in a small bowl until it is evenly moistened. Cover with a slightly damp kitchen towel and let sit overnight.
THE NEXT DAY:
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease either a 9x13 or 8x8 pan
2. In small sauce pan, melt butter & honey.
3. To the flour/cornmeal/yogurt from night before, add the baking powder, salt and eggs and mix thoroughly. Pour in the butter/honey mixture and stir until just mixed.
4. Pour batter into pan (bake 25 min for 9x13 pan or 30min for 8x8 pan), until toothpick comes out clean.