Monday, May 9, 2011

A new source for local, whole food - The West Michigan Co-op.

Well, it has been nearly 8 months since we've moved to Rockford, MI from Oak Harbor, WA. The adjustment has gone pretty smoothly overall since moving to MI was "coming back home" for us.

One thing that has been a bit of a challenge for me is finding healthy, whole foods for my family. I was spoiled when I lived in WA where it seemed to be more readily available, thankfully because I was a part of Jenee VanKooten's "Healthy Living Buyer's Club". Here, it was been a little more challenging, but I think I am making strides!

I recently started shopping with the West Michigan Co-op. I am so new to it that I haven't even gotten my first shopping order yet. For those of you who are local here are some fun details about it:

1) They offer a 2-month free trial membership where you can simply order and give them a try. If you like it, then you can pay a $35 membership to shop with them for the year.

2) Shopping is "open" from the 1st Saturday through the 1st Friday of the month. Then ordering is "closed" and you pick up your shopping order the last Wednesday of the month.

3) When you pick up the items you've ordered, you actually get to go around from table to table and pick up each item yourself and MEET the farmer or person who grew/raised your food. I love it!

I will keep you posted on how the process goes and how we like it! I am excited to have this resource available to us! Check them out at www.westmichigancoop.com

If you are local, let me know other "whole foods" resources you shop with! I am specifically looking for bulk grains as we have our own flour mill......

No comments: