Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fresh, chemical-free produce!

I love, love, love to get fresh, chemical-free produce - and it is even better when someone GIVES it to you!!

There is a wonderful older couple from church that has an incredible little "farm" out on 16-mile. They employ the help of a few grandkids to plant and harvest every year and sell to a few local places. He says he "doesn't like chemicals on my vegetables" and therefore chooses to deal with the bugs/pests. I LOVE IT!!!

First of all, my dream someday before I am too old is to have gardens (or a mini-farm) like his. I think they call it "homesteading" right? To be as self-sufficient as possible. Ahhh, to dream.  Anyway, here is a picture of what they gave us when I went out there today - a bag of onions, some pickled veggies and a jar of pickled okra, as well as 2 bushels of broccoli:


Now, I will probably spend the rest of my day blanching and freezing the broccoli! I love having a full freezer and pantry. I have not put up a huge amount this summer but hope to in the years to come.

***IMPORTANT NOTE: my new blog should be up and running soon! I will keep you posted on the progress and will have a special giveaway the first week that it is up and running. The giveaway is from a great new company that specializes in freeze-dried food to keep around for emergencies or everyday use! Very exciting! I am trying some samples in my cooking in the week to come and she plans to give something away as a part of a grand-opening on my new blog!!! Stay tuned!

No comments: