You'll see it calls for bacon...I am careful to always purchase nitrite-free bacon. Why? Nitrites are found in lunch meats and most all processed meats, and they are shown to cause stomach/pancreatic and prostate cancer - or at least increase the liklihood of those. To read more about that, click HERE. I would also just prefer to have my food, and especially the meat I use, be un-messed-with, ya know?! SO, bring on the bacon and sausage (nitrite-free, of course) and ENJOY!!!
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1½ tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 large diced white onion
- 4 Tbsp bacon pieces
- 2 tsp garlic puree
- 10 cups water
- 5 cubes of chicken bouillon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
- ¼ of a bunch of kale
- Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
- In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic for approxiamtly 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
- Mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add it to the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.
- Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
- Add heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Stir in the sausage.
- Add kale just before serving. Delicious!